"THERE HAVE BEEN SO MANY WHO HAVE INFLUENCED WHO I AM AND WHERE I AM GOING, BUT IF I WAS TO CHOOSE WHO HELPED ME APPRECIATE AND PUSH MY KNOWLEDGE OF FOOD, IT WOULD BE ROSE GRAY. "
1. What was your first job in hospitality?
Washing dishes for a catering company.
2. What is your favourite cuisine to eat - preferably the opposite to what you work in?
Italian and Vietnamese.
3. Which dish do you most associate with childhood?
My Mum’s tomato sauce cooked in the Aga and my granny’s apple pie. She wasn’t a great cook but her apple pie was what all the grandkids waited for.
4. What’s the soundtrack to your first love?
5. What do you crave after a long shift?
Cheese and crackers.
6. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day – what do you have?
Tea, muesli, fruit and Greek yoghurt.
7. What is your favourite word?
Tiramisu. I love the meaning of the word and that a pudding can ‘pick-me-up.’
8. If you could go on a culinary extravaganza-eating holiday – where would you choose to do so?
Sri Lanka and then back to Vietnam – I went to Vietnam 15 years ago and will never forget the incredible dishes they created just from the side of the road.
9. All at the same time or coursed out?
Depends on the day and the type of food.
10. What is the one area of working in a restaurant you wish you knew more of?
Pastry. I love to bake at home but wish I knew more of the basics.
11. What is the best cure for a hangover?
Pasta, my Mum’s tomato sauce and Italian sausages.
12. You’re allowed one shift drink – what is it?
13. What is the one thing which guests do that drives you mad?
Make assumptions. For example, asking ‘When are you due?!’
14. Do you have any rituals during a shift?
Never comment directly to other managers or the head chef, on how the shift is going, until the last guest has left.
15. What’s the last film you saw?
“Let it ride”. Hilarious.
16. Best thing that has ever happened to you in a restaurant?
I met my husband.
17. What’s your tagline/motto?
A smile costs nothing.
18. Photography while eating – yay or nay?
Nay, but I know I have to get on board with the way we’re going.
19. Rank the following in order of priority: wine, food, sex
Can I say altogether?
20. What would be your last meal – drinks included.
Oysters, spaghetti vongole, pear & almond tart with a glass of crisp white wine.
21. What makes you happy?
Eating great food in the Italian sunshine with my family.
22. How do you relax?
Lego time with my boys – makes me switch off from the million other things going on in my head.
23. What is the background on your phone?
My 2 sons.
24. Favourite Instagram accounts to follow
25. What is the best thing about working in hospitality?
Making people happy.
26. Which restaurant are you ashamed to NOT have eaten at?
27. Who is the person you most respect in the industry?
There have been so many who have influenced who I am and where I am going, but if I was to choose who helped me appreciate and push my knowledge of food, it would be Rose Gray.
28. What is your go to party trick?
Don't have one.
29. Finish this sentence: I eat everything except ...