"A NEGRONI OR A GLASS OF BUBBLY. DEPENDS HOW THE SHIFT WENT."
Follow Belinda on Instagram.
1. What was your first job in hospitality?
Waitress in a steakhouse in South Africa.
2. What is your favourite cuisine to eat - preferably the opposite to what you work in?
3. Which dish do you most associate with childhood?
Mac n' Cheese, Bolognese, BBQ/Braai, Roast.
4. What’s the soundtrack to your first love?
The soundtrack to True Romance.
5. What do you crave after a long shift?
A Negroni and to take my shoes off.
6. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day – what do you have?
Green tea always. Sometimes a sausage or egg salad sandwich, or sometimes porridge or an almond croissant.
7. What is your favourite word?
As in, let’s do this, don’t procrastinate or delay, get it done and move on, it’s all about growth and progression. I tend to curse a lot, too, although I am not proud of that fact.
8. If you could go on a culinary extravaganza-eating holiday – where would you choose to do so?
Japan or San Francisco.
9. All at the same time or coursed out?
Doesn't really matter.
10. What is the one area of working in a restaurant you wish you knew more of?
I’ve worked in every department, except the kitchen (officially). Maintenance is an ongoing problem and engineers are always quite vague and never seem to fix anything 100%, so I’d have to say I wish I knew more about repairing fridges, fryers and plumbing, amongst others.
11. What is the best cure for a hangover?
A very large mug of green tea, a bacon and egg sandwich and lots of water with a nurofen.
12. You’re allowed one shift drink – what is it?
A Negroni or a glass of bubbly, depends how the shift was.
13. What is the one thing which guests do that drives you mad?
Just one thing? I wish more people would express issues or complaints there and then so that we can resolve them quickly. There is nothing worse than receiving an email two or three weeks after the fact.
14. Do you have any rituals during a shift?
Drinking lots of water.
15. What’s the last film you saw?
The Good Dinousaur (I have a toddler).
16. Best thing that has ever happened to you in a restaurant?
I met some of my closest and lifelong friends.
17. What’s your tagline/motto?
Make it happen/Work it out.
18. Photography while eating – yay or nay?
This is such commonplace now, that I am resigned to it happening. However, don’t take so long getting the perfect photo that your food is cold and then blame us!
19. Rank the following in order of priority: wine, food, sex
Each has the same priority!
20. What would be your last meal – drinks included.
A huge spread of sushi including hamachi and toro with champagne and cold sake.
21. What makes you happy?
My husband, my son, sunshine, a holiday in Thailand, diving, a shift that looks extremely challenging at the beginning, but ends up being so smooth and easy that everyone feels like we could keep going for another several hours.
22. How do you relax?
Massage, music, champagne, wine, spending time with my family and friends which usually involves champagne, food and wine
23. What is the background on your phone?
A picture of my son in the sunshine.
24. Favourite Instagram accounts to follow
I follow mostly food, design and fashion accounts, favourites differ daily.
25. What is the best thing about working in hospitality?
The people you meet. I have met all of my closest friends while working in restaurants such a diverse and dynamic group of people.
26. Which restaurant are you ashamed to NOT have eaten at?
I’ve been lucky to dine at a lot of great restaurants, there are so many new and exciting ones that I am slowly getting to wish there were more days in the week.
27. Who is the person you most respect in the industry?
I have been fortunate to work with some amazing people across the globe, it’s difficult to pick just one. I have the most respect for those who have put in the blood, sweat and tears that this industry demands at times, yet stay positive and always treat others respectfully, no matter who they are.
28. What is your go to party trick?
Don't have one.
29. Finish this sentence: I eat everything except ...