1. What is one 4th of July tradition you either miss or carry out?
Celebrating my birthday.
2. What was your first job in hospitality
KP at Proud Larry’s, Oxford, Mississippi
3. What is your favourite type of cuisine to eat – preferably not the one your work in?
Hands down, Mexican, which is not very favourable for me in London
4. Which dish do you most associate with childhood?
Anything with Venison.
5. What is the soundtrack to your first love?
I honestly can't remember my first love so I can't really answer that one.
6. What do you crave after a long shift?
Sleep, I’m an old man.
7. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day – what do you have?
Mostly savoury, though I’m partial to a 1235donut. Soft eggs, smoked meat/fish, chopped liver, bagel & cream cheese.
8. What is your favourite word?
Can’t say I have one.
9. If you could go on a culinary extravaganza-eating holiday - where would you choose to do so?
Rural Japan or Baja California-Mexico.
10. All at the same time or coursed out?
I’m notoriously impatient. Coursed out, just not slow.
11. What is the one area of working in a restaurant you wish you knew more of?
Secrets of a great Maître d’.
12. What is the best cure for a hangover?
Shake Shack or Bleecker St Burgers and a Dr Pepper
13. You’re allowed one shift drink – what is it?
Depends on how the night went, but hardly ever a beer – either a neat rye or a glass of red.
14. What is the one thing which guests do that drives you mad?
Eat fried chicken and/or tacos with knife and fork.
15. Do you have any rituals during a shift?
Clean spoon bain or cleanliness in general.
16. What’s the last film you saw?
17. Best thing that has ever happened to you in a restaurant?
New York Times 2 star review for Governor.
18. What’s your tagline/motto?
No heroes, only soldiers.
19. Photography while eating – yay or nay?
Whatever, it’s your dining experience.
20. Rank the following in order of priority; wine, food, sex
I thought this interview was for grown ups?
21. What would be your last meal – drinks included.
I plan to live to 200 so hopefully it’s freeze dried ice cream while circling the moon.
22.What makes you happy?
Family, of course.
23. How do you relax?
24. What is the background on your phone?
Maren and Magnus, my two kids
25. Favourite Instagram accounts to follow
26. What is the best thing about working in hospitality?
The sense of community.
27. Which restaurant are you ashamed to NOT have eaten at?
Daniel. I lived in NewYork for almost 10 years and never ate there.
28. Who is the person you most respect in the industry?
The dedicated KP’s and line cooks out there. None of us would be anywhere without that level of support.
29. What is your go-to party trick?
My go to party trick is to never show up empty handed.
30. Finish this sentence; I eat everything except...